Monday, December 8, 2014

What's in a Sandwich?

For today's post I wanted to try another different format, this time a countdown! I've been wanting to write about my top five favorite sandwiches in the area for a while but had to try to make it back to each one and I was finally successful on Saturday. Let's start with #5. 

5. Chicken Palermo from First Watch Cafe - White meat chicken, sliced tomato (which I do without), onion, pepperoncini, and mozzarella with basil pesto and mayo on ciabatta bread. It's a simple sandwich that packs a whole lot of flavor from the sweetness of the pepperoncini and the kick from the onion with extremely fresh chicken. The basil pesto and mayo get soaked into the ciabatta bread so you get some in every bite. First Watch is a small chain that was introduced to me by my cousin. There are locations in Rockville, Timonium, and Pikesville, so two are fairly close. Oddly enough I didn't realize those last two were in the area until researching this post! 

Photo courtesy of Google Images

4. Gourmet Grilled Cheese Panini from Gettysburg Cupcake Cafe - Italian bread with mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and a balsamic glaze. Hands-down one of my all-time favorite combinations. The glaze is drizzled over the top so you get all of the flavor without drowning the sandwich. Basil chiffonade is tucked into the cheese along with the tomato so you get a little bit in every bite. Plus you can't beat pulling apart a grilled cheese and seeing those long, gooey strings of cheese. The cafe is only open Friday-Sunday but a perfect stop for lunch on a trip to see the battlefields! Make sure you try a cupcake while you're there! They are some of my favorites. 


3. Hickory Smoked Tuna Salad from Old Mill Cafe - This sandwich had me intrigued from the moment I spotted it on the menu at this quaint little cafe in historic Old Ellicott City. Hickory smoked tuna salad? Smoked salmon is good, so I was curious to see how it would translate. It translated very well. Tuna salad can be extremely boring but not this sandwich. The smoked flavor is fantastic. I could eat this tuna salad every day along with the delicious buttery crossaint it was served on. Old Mill is open 7 days a week, so plenty of time to stop in for a sandwich and do some shopping in the myriad of local businesses along Main Street.


2. Crabby Melt from Grilled Cheese and Company - Noticing a theme? Grilled Cheese and Company started out in Catonsville and now has locations in Eldersburg and Federal Hill. You may have even seen them at local festivals like Wine in the Woods! Basically, this sandwich is everything. If I could pick one food to bring with me on a desert island it might very well be crab due to my extreme love for it and you bet I can't get enough crab dip. This sandwich is the company's crab dip chock full of claw meat, topped with Monterey jack cheese and grilled on ciabatta. To die for. And you definitely need to try it with a side of their shoestring french or sweet potato fries. They're extremely crunchy and the best! 

Photo courtesy of Google Images

1. Egg Salad from Big Belly Deli - I know what you're thinking, an egg salad sandwich is my number one? Yes, yes it is. I have dreams about this sandwich. There's not much to it but it's incredible. Huge chunks of egg lightly dressed in mayo are served on thick slices of sourdough and topped with copious amount of bacon. Aha! Now you know why this sandwich is incredible. Bacon makes everything fantastic. This sandwich is so big sometimes I have trouble finishing it, a plus since it's only $5. Big Belly is located in Sykesville right off Route 32 and is definitely worth the stop. They have a ton of other sandwiches (Justin likes the corned beef, brisket, and curried chicken) as well as fresh baked desserts. This was the sandwich I had on Saturday to be able to put up this post. I needed a picture! 





No comments:

Post a Comment