Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Goodbye 2014, hello 2015!

Sandwiches might very well be one of my favorite foods (boring I know but there really is something about a good sandwich) but I often find that my creations at home aren't quite as satisfactory as the ones I can get out. Nevertheless this doesn't stop me from searching for and saving good recipes to try. Today's is a Blue Cheese Steak and Onion Jam Panini. This recipe is a little bit labor intensive but well worth it.
 
To start, dice 1 and a half to 2 red onions and 1 shallot (you might need more depending on how much jam you want to make). Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until butter has melted. Add in your onion and shallot and saute until caramelized, approximately 10-15 minutes. Be sure to stir often so all of the onion gets cooked through.


Next add in 1/2 cup of red wine (I used the leftover Pinot Noir from my short ribs earlier in the week), 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of ground thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar. Stir to combine and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer until it thickens. You may need to add in some cornstarch to get the consistency you want.


Once the jam is done remove from the heat and set aside. Take two steaks seasoned with salt and pepper (I used sirloin) and sear on each side in a cast iron skillet (or whatever you have handy) for 5-6 minutes per side. The internal temp should be about 140 for medium rare.


Once cooked set steaks aside and let sit for approximately 5 minutes before slicing. Cut 3 ciabatta rolls in half and butter the outside of the roll. On the inside slather with Dijon mustard, then a layer of the red onion jam. Slice your steak into thin slices and layer on the sandwich, then top with blue cheese crumbles.


 Take a grill pan or panini press and cook for about 5 minutes or until cheese has begun to melt. Then slice in half and serve!


To demonstrate to you how this tasted, let me share some texts from my fiance while he was at home eating one for dinner while I was at work: "Sammich is delicious. The steak is very good and tender. Anytime you want to make these is good with me." Sums it up right? ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment