Monday, December 22, 2014

Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Yesterday was a really busy day for us. I had to go pick up my fixed car, finish some last minute Christmas shopping, grocery shop, be home for our new dishwasher installation, and Justin had to work. Dinner needed to be something fast and healthy that I could whip up before meeting Justin at the gym at the end of his shift.

I had a head of iceberg lettuce left in the fridge from another meal that I wanted to use before it spoiled so I found a recipe for Asian turkey lettuce wraps. It's also a really cheap meal to make.

To start, dice half of a white onion and one red bell pepper and mince two cloves of garlic. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and brown one pound of ground turkey. At this time you should also cook white or brown rice so that you have one cup cooked.



Once cooked drain the meat, then add in the onion, pepper, and garlic and saute until tender, about four minutes. Add in the rice, then mix in 1/4 cup of Hoisin sauce, two tablespoons of soy sauce, half a teaspoon of ground ginger, and sliced green onions. Give everything a good stir and then place in lettuce leaves to serve.




These did not work out so well with the lettuce. I don't think it was crisp enough and the lettuce kept tearing. Fortunately the dish tastes really good on its own so I placed it in a bowl and we ate it straight. Justin really liked this recipe because of the great combo of carbs and protein. It's a great meal for before or after a workout! As for the leftover lettuce, I guess I'll just have to use it for salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment