Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Packing in the Pumpkin Spice

It is officially my favorite month of the entire year, and what better way to celebrate it then talk about all of the awesome pumpkin spice or fall-flavored treats I have come across so far. This way you too can get your hands on some of the deliciousness before the season is over.

Who doesn't love apple cider? For the kiddos and those who want non-alcoholic, you can't go wrong with Baugher's apple cider, sold exclusively at their market attached to the restaurant in Westminster. They just started carrying it recently and I bought our first of the season this past Monday. It's great cold, heated up, or spiked with your favorite whiskey.


If you're looking for a little kick in your cider, there are a ton of local wineries that also make cider. Hauser Estate Vineyards, Great Shoals, Reid's Orchard and Distillery Lane Ciderworks are just some of the places you can visit to get your fix. We'll be visiting Distillery Lane this weekend. Pictured below is some I purchased from Hauser.


Next up is a classic: pumpkin bread. Made by many a family each year, it's a staple. I have not had time to make my own yet but Baugher's carries it in varying sizes. Shown below is their smaller size.


The only times of year that I have candy in dishes around the house are fall/Halloween and Christmas. Always on hand are varying types of candy corn and this year we've rotated through Pumpkin Spice M&Ms and Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses. I have to say we were pretty disappointed with the M&Ms. They have a very slight hint of spice but mostly just taste like chocolate. The kisses though are a different story. They are truly authentic in their taste and we have torn through those like there is no tomorrow.



Nabisco Oreos chooses seasonal flavors several times a year and because I loved their Watermelon, Marshmallow Crispy, and Root Beer Float earlier this year, I was extremely excited to find out their fall flavor. Enter Caramel Apple. Oh boy. These were soooooooo good. The caramel truly tastes like caramel and the apple was just tart enough without being sour. They're sold at Target (I haven't seen them anywhere else) and I've had to stop myself from buying more!


This past week I made a pit stop at one of my favorite cupcake bakeries, Flavor, to try some of their fall flavors. I was also extremely interested in not just their cupcakes but also their French macarons, whoopie pies, and new mini-pies. I chose the Sweet Potato Pie and Pumpkin cupcakes, a pumpkin macaron, a vanilla bean macaron, a pumpkin whoopie pie, and a pecan pie. Oh my Lord I can't rave about this place enough. EVERYTHING is incredible. My only criticism was that I would have liked the whoopie pie to have more filling.






Starry Night Bakery is located in Westminster and has been featured on Food Network's Cupcake Wars twice. I try to stop in and try their seasonal flavors as much as possible and had a chance to a week or so ago. I picked out their Maple Pumpkin and Apple Spice cupcakes, both of which were very good. I really liked the spin on the pumpkin with the maple. There is also an Almond Joy one pictured but while great is not fall related. 


Hoffman's Ice Cream in Westminster is a local hotspot for some of the best homemade ice cream around. They just started offering their fall flavors, Pumpkin, Cinnamon, Apple Pie, and Ravens Ripple (home and away). I chose a scoop of Pumpkin and another of Apple Pie. Both were great but my favorite was the Pumpkin in all its bright orange glory. The Apple Pie was a vanilla ice cream studded with pie and apple chunks.


Each season I also like to make a stop in a Walgreens and check out the seasonal Russell Stover flavors. I purchased Pumpkin, Apple, and Pecan Pies.


Other pumpkin spice flavored things I have had so far include Pumpkin Cinnamon Bun Cake (only available at a winery event), Pepperidge Farm Pumpkin Spice Milanos (also at Target! Along with their Pumpkin Cheesecake cookies), pumpkin spice marshmallows (haven't opened these yet but plan to make some awesome smore's with them), and of course who can forget a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks!





What other pumpkin spice or fall flavors do you love and where do you get your fix?? I plan to make more pumpkin flavored things in the coming months such as oatmeal, pancakes, and possibly even a chili or soup. Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment