Monday, September 15, 2014

Caught up on Cupcakes

I was scrolling through the pictures on my phone this morning, trying to decide what I wanted to post about today. As I was clicking through, I realized that I haven't brought a cupcake post to you all in quite a while! Remember when I said I was going to not eat any cupcakes during the month of August? Yeah, I failed miserably. I think I lasted about a week, if that. I just enjoy them way too much! Fortunately my gym is down the street so no excuses, it's my only saving grace. 

I'm going to backtrack to our Ocean City, MD, trip near the end of August. We stopped at Yummy! Sweet Shop in Berlin, MD, on our way to one of the brewing companies. I picked A Day at the Beach, Neopolitan, Fluffernutter, and Heath Bar Crunch. These cupcakes were about middle-of-the-road in size and had creamy, whipped frosting. I think the two best ones were the Neopolitan and the Fluffernutter. Sometimes the flavors aren't very strong with Neopolitan cupcakes and the vanilla and strawberry end up tasteless. In this one all of the flavors came through. I enjoyed the Fluffernutter because of it's marshmallow frosting, and it also had a mini-Nutter Butter on the top. This place lived up to it's name! 


The second place is Touche Touchet Bakery in Columbia, MD. I went very traditional at this place choosing Red Velvet and Carrot Cake. These cupcakes were huge! I was worried that because they were so big they would be dry but not the case! These were some of the most moist cupcakes I have had and I think my favorite was the Red Velvet. The amount of frosting did get a little difficult to eat at the end with both but had a good cream cheese flavor. I especially liked the texture of the pecans on top of the Carrot Cake. 


Now we move on to one of my favorites, Kupcakes and Co. in Elkridge, MD. I stopped in here on my way back from lunch with a friend in Annapolis because it was the first day of their fall menu! I chose the Pumpkin Spice and Apple Pie a la mode. Pumpkin Spice cupcakes don't need a whole lot of fanfare to be good and this place knows how to do that correctly. The pumpkin cake was a beautiful burnished orange color bursting with pumpkin flavor with a spiced cream cheese frosting. The Apple Pie a la mode was also to die for with an apple cake topped with apple crumble and a dollop of vanilla bean frosting off to the side as if you were actually eating apple pie. So good! I also picked up some of their macaroons which are huge and delicious. And they're dusted with glitter so naturally I couldn't resist! 



The last place to catch up on is the Stone House Bakery in Taneytown, MD. I had tried to go to this place once before but they were closed for remodeling so I lucked out last week once they were finished! I picked up Almond, Pumpkin Spice, Red Velvet, and Hummingbird. The first one I tried was the Almond which was awesome. Almond is one of my favorite cupcake flavors ever and this was one of the best. It's very simple, almond cake with almond frosting, but it was moist and creamy and melt-in-your-mouth good. The Pumpkin Spice and Red Velvet were both good, nothing spectacular but worth eating. I was very disappointed with the Hummingbird. The cake was extremely dry and I had a hard time eating it, which is a shame because normally I really love that flavor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment