Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Happy Fall!

Okay, so it's not officially fall yet, but with the temperatures being so cool and crisp, the leaves starting to turn, and the daylight running out sooner, it might as well be! I couldn't be more thrilled. To get in the spirit, I made a chicken and apples dish a week or so ago using these delicious Honeycrisp apples from the farmer's market down the street. Seriously, Justin and I agreed these were the best apples we had ever had so get yourself over to Baugher's in Westminster, MD, and get some!


For this recipe you will need:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 apples, cut in to 1/2 inch slices
1 cup of apple juice
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard

To start, place your chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper and pound with a meat mallet (or whatever you have. A frying pan works best but I forgot that tidbit and used a crab mallet), to 3/4 inch thickness.


Heat your oil in a large skillet over medium high heat (I used our Dutch oven since it was deeper). Saute the chicken until golden, about 3 minutes on each side, but it may take longer depending on how thick your chicken is.


Add your apple slices, apple juice, onion, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper (just eyeball). Simmer covered for 6-8 minutes or until the chicken is tender,


Remove the chicken, apples, and onion to a platter and keep warm.

Bring the sauce to a boil for 5 minutes, whisk in the mustard, and then pour over the chicken.



My only complaint was that the sauce was a little thin. I would suggest adding more mustard or another thickening agent to it. Sauces are still one of my weaknesses but I'll continue to attempt them until I get it right!


No comments:

Post a Comment