Friday, September 5, 2014

Liquid Assets

I'm still trying to finish all of my posts from our trip to Ocean City a week or so ago, so today I thought I'd write about our second dinner at Liquid Assets. Finding this place was the result of a Google search a few weeks before we went and after perusing the menu online it seemed like our kind of joint.

The restaurant is located right on Coastal Highway, so after we spent an hour or so tasting the local beer at Burley Oak Brewing Company in Berlin (amazing BTW! Definitely worth a stop on your way into OC or even for a day trip), we had quite an appetite and were looking forward to trying this place. Below are a few pics from Burley Oak:



Liquid Assets is both a liquor store, bar, and restaurant. Patrons can sit at tables or the bar in the middle of the liquor store and peruse the offerings with the option to bring a bottle back to the table, or you can sit in a separate dining room. We ended up in the dining room.

While waiting for dinner we both had cocktails. I chose the Blueberry Lemonade and Justin had a whiskey drink called The Bob, topped with a fun Root Beer rock candy stick!



For an appetizer we had the Corn and Cheddar pudding, topped with Smith Island crabmeat, roasted poblanos, and cornbread crumbles, and served with crostini. This lasted on our table for all of 5 minutes, if that. I'll devour anything with crabmeat and I could never say no to cheese in all it's ooey gooey glory.


Picking an entree was difficult. There were so many good choices! In an effort to try something new I had the Fried Catfish Biscuits, served with cajun mayo, biscuits, garlic green beans, and chow chow. Now you may ask, what the heck is chow chow. I had no idea either. The first thing that came into my mind was those big, fluffy, usually mean dogs that Martha Stewart owns. Don't worry, no dog meat on the menu here. Chow chow is a pickled relish made from a bunch of different vegetables and it's served cold.

The biscuits were golden and fluffy, the catfish didn't have too much breading, and the sauce was very good. My favorite part of the dish though was actually the green beans. They had almost a smoky flavor and I couldn't stop eating them. The chow chow however was not my favorite and I think I had maybe two bites. It's not that it was bad, I just didn't care for the taste.


Justin picked the salmon special, which was baked salmon served with grilled melons and in a melon sauce and topped with greens. Melons and salmon seems like a weird combo but it was actually quite good.


Hooked still holds top honors in my book for best places to eat in OC, but this is somewhere that we would definitely go back to. Stay tuned for one last post from OC about breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment