Monday, July 14, 2014

Tour de Cupcake in Washington, D.C.

The first thing most people think of when you mention cupcakes in DC is Georgetown Cupcake (aka DC cupcakes). This however is not a tale of this famed establishment, but rather 2 other cupcakeries, one with 12 locations in the nation and the other a local family-owned joint.

I have been to Georgetown quite a few times, mostly during high school when I was on the crew team and in town for a regatta. The problem was those days were spent entirely on the water and we never got to explore the area. I didn't even have my first Georgetown Cupcake until a few years later at my cousin's baby shower. Those cupcakes were delectable, and I have since gone to their Bethesda outpost for more, but for this trip I had my heart set on trying Sprinkles (the national chain) and Baked & Wired (love their clever name!).

My good friend and former crew coach Lee, she who knows DC way better than I do, came down from her home in NYC for the weekend to hang out with me and accompany me on this adventure. Thank God she was driving because I worked the night before and decided I was just going to stay up as long as possible. Crazy I know but sometimes you have to sacrifice for the time with friends and a good cupcake :P

We arrived in Georgetown right around lunchtime, so before any cupcakes were to be had we needed some lunch. Enter Snap Cafe, a small little hole-in-the-wall located off of M Street known for their sweet and savory crepes. All I saw on the menu was asiago and goat cheese and I was done, decision made. The crepe was lovely, not overdone and filled with tons of goat cheese along with the asiago, tomatoes, and scallions.


After lunch it was time for those cupcakes and conveniently Baked & Wired was located almost adjacent to Snap, just over the historic canal. The shop had its doors flung wide open to accommodate the crowds of Saturday shoppers and to let the air circulate because in the sun it was hot, hot, hot. There is a handheld menu you can look at and each cupcake is also displayed in its own glass case so you can see what you're ordering. Baked & Wired has extremely fun names like Razmanian Devil, Smurfette, and The Unporked Elvis, just to name a few.

I was told by a coworker that I needed to order a ridiculously named cupcake, listed as Unicorns and Rainbows on the internet but on the menu it's really snropinu and sohniar. See if you can decipher that, then post it in the comments. Both words are spelled backwards.

This cupcake was simple yet delicious. It's a vanilla cake with blue cream cheese frosting and heart confetti baked in both the cake and sprinkled on top. The cupcakes are very big, really meant for 2 people, and they have a moderately thin layer of frosting on top, the perfect amount.


My second choice was a Texas Sheetcake, chocolate cake with a little bit of cinnamon and chocolate-pecan frosting. I had never heard of Texas sheetcake, but I love pecans so this seemed like the obvious choice. This one I ended up splitting with Justin. You could definitely taste the cinnamon in the cake and there were plenty of pecans in the frosting.


After Baked and Wired it was time for Sprinkles. Since I had purchased 2 large cupcakes already, I opted for the minis here. Sprinkles is known for their red velvet, so I chose one of those and a strawberry. The red velvet was everything I was told it would be, creamy cream cheese frosting and moist cake. The strawberry was good as well but the red velvet was definitely the star here. We also purchased vanilla frosting shots which were AMAZING. They're a little dose of happiness in a cup.



This was seriously a successful cupcake adventure in Georgetown, and I can't wait to go back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment