Thursday, July 3, 2014

Hooked on Hooked

Eating alone at a sit down restaurant has been on my bucket list, but I'll always admit I've kind of been a chicken about doing it. I have no problem eating by myself somewhere like Panera, but sitting alone while someone waits on me has always seemed kind of awkward. But, in the spirit of trying something new, I decided to give it a go when I got into Ocean City, MD on Friday. I did a Google search for best restaurants at the beach and Hooked was the first one that came up. It's a relatively new place that opened in 2013, specializing in local and fresh ingredients. In other words, a foodie's dream.
 
Located between 80th and 81st streets, it's easiest to reach from entering OC on Route 90. There is both an indoor and outdoor bar as well as outdoor seating. I initially thought I was going to eat inside at a table but the hostess convinced me to sit outside at the bar since it was so nice out. I realize that eating alone at the bar is cheating a little bit but it was still a new experience for me.
 
Of course I started the adventure out with a cocktail, a lovely pomegranate margarita served in a mason jar rimmed with salt and garnished with a lime. Sweet, cool, and delicious, it took away the slight bit of anxiety I had.


 
For weeks I have been craving calamari, but haven't been able to get it. It started when my friend and I went to the Standford Grill. We had planned on calamari but then they offered us a fried green tomato appetizer topped with crab so we just had to have that. Then in Luray we chose it while out at dinner one night but they had run out. So you better believe I was getting my calamari at this place!
 
I was not disappointed and also thought the way it was served was different in a good way. Instead of placing the dipping sauce on the side, it's drizzled all over the calamari, which are also topped with baby greens. The sauce was a spicy mayo, but not so much as to be overpowering. I am happy to say that this completely took away my calamari craving. 


 
For my main course I chose the truffled sweet corn and crab flatbread. This was amazing and you know something is good when the person next you gets disappointed because they didn't realize that they had it on the menu that day. I've long loved the combo of corn and crab and there was also the addition of bacon. Anything is good with bacon, especially the addition of garlic, basil, arugula, and white truffle on this pizza. It was also pretty much the perfect portion for one person, I only had one piece left.


 
The staff was extremely friendly at this establishment and there were quite a few people that were back for another meal after having eaten there before on just one trip. It's definitely getting added to my roster of favorite restaurants in OCMD.

No comments:

Post a Comment