Thursday, July 17, 2014

Heritage in a Cupcake...

Recently I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed when I happened upon a post from The Broken Cookie Bakery and Coffee House in Hanover, PA. For those of you not in the know, the Utz potato chip factory is also located in this town, and Utz products are huge in Baltimore and the surrounding area. Currently, The Broken Cookie and the Utz Factory Outlet Store have partnered in cupcake and potato chip goodness, melding two heavenly staples. The results? Mixed. 
 
Two types of cupcakes are offered, the Grandma Utz and Salted Chip Caramel. The former has chips mixed in the batter while the latter has them mixed in the frosting. The first one I tried was the Grandma Utz, a vanilla cake with classic plain potato chips and a chocolate frosting dotted with small chunks of salt. The cake was very moist and the frosting very chocolatey, but I found the potato chips to be a little bit lacking. There were plenty of them but it's very hard to keep a potato chip crunchy after being mixed in a batter and baked, and these seemed a little soggy. If you weren't aware of what they were I think it would be hard to tell they were chips. I did enjoy the salt on the top; it created the perfect salty sweet balance. This was a decent cupcake but not anything to write home about.  



 


















I have to say I was rather disappointed with the Salted Chip Caramel. The cake was chocolate and again very moist, but you could've fooled me that there were chips in the icing. I couldn't taste them at all. I also felt that the frosting was more vanilla than caramel and not very flavorful. I forgot to take a picture of this one before I ate it but here's the box! 


 
The Broken Cookie did redeem themselves with a visit to their bakery, located just a block or two down the street from the factory outlet store. I had been here before several months ago before I started writing my blog. This time I chose Chocolate Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut.
 
I had had their chocolate peanut butter before and remember it being one of my favorite peanut butter cupcakes. The chocolate cake was moist and they give you a generous heap of almost fudge-like peanut butter buttercream frosting. It's a simple cupcake that doesn't need much to be delicious. The white chocolate macadamia nut was new to me. It's a yellow cake mixed with white chocolate and macadamia nut pieces, topped with buttercream and more of those same pieces. Not to be repetitive but this cake was also moist and the nuts and buttercream were tasty, but I would've liked a little more white chocolate flavor.



 


















Overall, I didn't feel that the Utz cupcakes were worth the drive to get them, but it is worth trying some of the bakery's other flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment