Saturday, July 5, 2014

Land of the Free & Home of the Cupcakes! And other Patriotic Treats!

Growing up, the Fourth of July was always one of my favorite holidays. Highlights include scrambling to pick up candy thrown from the floats in my hometown parade, and glow necklaces in the twilight while waiting for the fireworks to start. I haven't been to the parade in years, but I try to catch the fireworks whenever possible, whether it's going to a scheduled display or enjoying a personal show in the backyard.

This year I couldn't get too into the holiday because I was on call in the evening. However my parents invited myself and my fiance over for some grilling, an invitation I could most definitely not turn down! I decided to be responsible for dessert and a fun cocktail.

I have only ever made one cocktail in my life, which was the Irish redhead posted a few weeks back. What I had in mind this time was one of my absolute favorite drinks of all time, a margarita! Delicious and easy to customize for the holiday.

Start by purchasing some tequila, triple sec, and blue curacao, easily found at any liquor store. If you have a discount one near you I highly recommend purchasing it from there. While Patron is delicious, no need to be fancy and empty your wallet. A little Margaritaville tequila and DeKupyer's will do. You will also need a thawed can of limeade and Sprite.

First, pour the limeade can into a pitcher. Next, fill up the limeade can and add 3 cans of water. Third, fill the can with tequila and add in, then fill the can halfway with triple sec and add. Finally, pour in a 1/2 cup of blue curacao and stir. Chill for at least 30 minutes. When ready to serve add in a few splashes of Sprite and stir again. Serve in a fun glass with any garnish/straws you want! I found the glasses at Dollar Tree and the straws at Walmart and I used white chocolate dipped strawberries with blue sprinkles for the garnish.


Of course, no holiday party is complete without dessert, and I made a pit stop at 2 of my favorite cupcake bakeries, Flavor Cupcakery and Kupcakes & Co. I am ridiculous and drove from Westminster to Cockeysville to Elkridge and back to Catonsville. Anything for the cupcake.

Flavor was featuring Rocketpop cupcakes, modeled after the classic summertime popsicle purchased off the ice cream truck. Adorned with cherry, lemon lime, and raspberry frosting and garnished with a popsicle stick, these were adorable and delicious, tasting very similar to the popsicle!


Flavor always gets point with me for having very moist cakes and creamy frosting.

Kupcakes & Co.'s holiday cupcake was the "Firecracker," made with Fireball whiskey and topped with cinnamon cream cheese icing and a fireball candy. There was also touch of cayenne pepper, giving a little spice to the cupcake, which you can definitely taste! I loved the Jack and Coke and Sam Adams that this place had already done and this cupcake fit right in! You do get a little hint of the whiskey so if it's not your thing this cupcake may not be for you. Kupcakes & Co. also always has moist cupcakes and melt in your mouth frosting, which is why it's one of my go-tos!


(Ignore the blue spots, it was right next to one of the Rocketpop cupcakes)

This place also recently started making macarons, and they sell out really fast so I was happy to see that they had a pretty decent variety when I went in on Saturday morning. I chose a Key Lime and Salted Caramel, both of which were light and airy and had melt in your mouth, flavorful centers. Can't wait to try more!


















The following are some pictures of the rest of our feast, including my mom's homemade deviled eggs!




No comments:

Post a Comment