Sunday, July 27, 2014

Catching up on Cupcakes

I have fallen way behind on my cupcake reviews. You all didn't really think I hadn't eaten any since the last time I posted did you? Oh no, cupcakes are a staple in my world. Recently I have been back to a few of my favorite bakeries, one for a special summer series and the other just to try new flavors. 
 
Flavor Cupcakery is quickly becoming one of my favorite cupcake hotspots. Seriously, these are some of, if not truly the best, cupcakes I have ever eaten. In July Flavor created a series called "Summer Sippin" featuring flavors based off of classic summer drinks. When they first featured this series I was out of town and super sad that I was going to miss it! However, due to it's popularity, Flavor decided to bring some of the bestselling flavors back a week or so ago. I can't tell you how excited I was that I was going to be able to get my hands on some! I chose the Root Beer Float and the Shirley Temple.
 
The Root Beer Float was truly like you were eating that dessert. I believe the cake was soaked in root beer and the vanilla bean frosting on the top with a root beer drizzle was the perfect complement. I also really enjoyed the Shirley Temple with flavors of lime and cherry and topped with a maraschino cherry. I wish they carried these cupcakes year round! In the picture below, the Root Beer Float and Shirley Temple are the top two, I also purchased a Boston Cream and Tres Leches. 
 

On Friday my fiance and I went to Frederick, MD, for the day and I couldn't resist stopping into a bakery that I had visited once before not too long after they had opened. Cakes to Die For is located in an old bank on Market Street and gothic in theme (the last cupcake I had there was a red velvet with fake blood splatter on the top). This day they were offering three new flavors, a chocolate raspberry, blueberry, and cookies and cream. We picked the blueberry and cookies and cream to split. These were so tasty!
 
The blueberry cupcake was a cornmeal cake, which is absolutely amazing. I love corn muffins and cornbread to begin with but to have it in cupcake form was a new and excellent experience. It paired so well with the blueberry and wasn't too dry. Inside of the cupcake was a blueberry filling with small, whole blueberries, and it was topped with blueberry frosting. This is a cupcake that I would like to eat again!
 


The cookies and cream was just as delicious. The cake was yellow dotted with Oreo cookie pieces, and the frosting tasted EXACTLY like Oreo cookie filling. This too was a great cupcake.


 
As a random side adventure, last weekend when I went to VA to visit my friend Laura for her birthday at a winery, I ended up looking for a place to get cupcakes. On my way home my GPS decided to take me on a route that was not at all logical (I should've just gone back the way I came) and I ended up in Fairfax. I was irritated with the GPS but had finally ended up near a highway that I was familiar with, so I decided to take a brief break from the car and look for cupcakes. Instantly I found a place only a few miles away called Cupcakes Actually.
 
The shop is located in a huge shopping center full of restaurants, shops, and a movie theater. I easily found it and chose the Vanilla Bean and Dipped Cherry. I opted to take them home with me to enjoy after my 2 hour drive. Unfortunately when I got home my Vanilla Bean had lost some of its frosting! The Dipped Cherry faired much better.


 
The Vanilla Bean was a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. I found the frosting to be very tasty but the cake slightly dry. The Dipped Cherry was a chocolate cake with pink cherry buttercream, dipped in dark chocolate ganache and drizzled with red chocolate. I thought this cupcake was just okay. There wasn't anything inherently wrong with it, just that it wasn't my favorite. The chocolate cake was nice but the dark chocolate could've been a lot more solid and crunchier. Granted I didn't eat it right away so I'm sure that had something to do with it. The cherry flavor was fine but not spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment