Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Sunshine and Summertime

Fall has always been my favorite time of year, but usually when it's followed by a long and bitter winter like this year I find myself getting really excited for the warmer weather. I especially look forward to flip flops, tank tops, sundresses, BBQs, carnivals/fairs, frozen treats, swimming, and the beach!

My first carnival was local at the Gamber Volunteer Fire Department very close to my house. Some good friends of mine are members and were volunteering so I went to visit them and enjoy the atmosphere. Funnel cake is probably my favorite carnival food but ironically I didn't have any this time. I did partake in a crabcake sandwich with french fries and macaroni salad, all of which were pretty good. I heard tell that the crabcakes were from a local seafood restaurant called Park's Landing, which I have visited a few times in the past. I also learned that this restaurant offers all-you-can-eat steamed crabs for around $40 a few evenings a week. The only catch is you have to eat them there so something to think about if you really enjoy the outside, picnic aspect of eating crabs. Definitely a good deal though!

Here's a picture of the fireworks that ended the night:

Last night while I was making the zucchini pizza I got a really bad craving for my mom's deviled eggs, one of my other favorite foods of summer. Plus, I had some eggs that were about to go bad so the quickest way to use them and make them last a little longer is to hard boil them. I also found an awesome egg tray at Marshall's earlier in the day so I wanted to use that too. I'm partial to my mom's deviled eggs. Many deviled eggs include relish but hers do not and that's one of the things I really like about them. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

6 eggs
3 tablespoons of light mayo
1/2 teaspoon of dried mustard
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Dash of pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon of finely chopped onion
Paprika

Directions:

Hard boil the 6 eggs, cut in half and scoop yolks into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add in all other ingredients except paprika and mash with a fork until all large pieces of yolk are broken up. Place your egg halves on a tray and scoop the mixture into each one. Sprinkle with paprika and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.

Here are mine:


What are some of your favorite summer foods?

**New addition. I can't believe I almost forgot this!**

Over the holiday weekend a cupcake bakery in Elkridge, MD called Kupcakes and Co. was featuring an Old Bay cupcake, but sadly only on Saturday and Sunday, both of which I had to work 7a-7p :( But my awesome sauce parents went on Sunday and got me a few and boy am I glad they did! The cake was dark chocolate chip with Old Bay infused throughout. You could definitely taste the Old Bay and it left a nice spicy kick on your tongue. Sounds weird but a good combo! Kind of like chiles in dark chocolate. The frosting was a delicious chocolate buttercream and was topped with a red fondant crab. If you're interested in trying something like this Sweet Cascades in old Ellicott City offers milk and dark chocolate Old Bay crabs all year round :)



No comments:

Post a Comment