Thursday, May 29, 2014

Some Local Favorites

One of the best parts of summer is getting fresh veggies from the local farmer's market. Conveniently, Baugher's Orchards & Farms is located in Westminster, MD, a pretty short drive from where I live. I ventured up there earlier in the week and only walked out with some sweet corn because I had already been to the grocery store but it's still fun to look. You really can't beat getting enough produce to last you 2 weeks for around $20 and nothing will ever be as fresh unless you have your own garden. It's very easy to detect a difference in taste when you buy from the market instead of the grocery store. Along with the fruits and veggies Baugher's also has homemade pies, cookies, various candies, and sauces and dressings, as well as cooking supplies, household decorations, and a plant nursery. My favorite sweet treat to take home is their homemade peanut butter fudge.

Yesterday I had a lovely dinner with my friend Ashley from nursing school. We hit up one of my all-time favorite places in Sykesville, MD, E.W. Beck's Pub. What makes this restaurant fun is their seasonal menu. It's changed 4 times a year, so I'm always excited to go back once a new menu comes out, and this place never disappoints. I'm trying to get back on a healthier eating regimen so for this meal I chose the grilled Asian mahi mahi tacos:
Doesn't it just look pretty? Topping the fish were fried wonton strips, seaweed (yes seaweed! Surprisingly very good despite it's gelatinous looking appearance), cherry tomatoes, and a sweet chili sour cream. The portions are big and I wasn't able to finish it all! Ashley chose the crab, spinach, and Old Bay flatbread pizza, which she said was the perfect balance of crab and cheese without being too rich.
Beck's also changes their cocktails for the season so we both had the Ashley's Homemade Pink Sangria. This was delicious, very light and refreshing.
I highly recommend Beck's to anyone who's in town.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Karen. It's "cousin" Melissa! I just found your blog and I'm loving it! I enjoyed eating at E.W. Beck's too. But I can't get over the name. In my head is sounds like "Ewwww" Becks. *snicker

    ReplyDelete