Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Scallops & Bacon & Brussels Oh My!

Growing up with a mother from New England, there's very little seafood I will not eat. However, after one very unfortunate incident in which scallops were my last meal, I couldn't touch them for years (I'm sorry scallops, it's not you, it's me).

When I finally did eat a scallop again it was slowly, perhaps in a seafood chowder or layered on a flatbread. Only recently, as in a week ago, did I become brave enough to actually attempt to make them on my own. Of course, I had to find a recipe with one of my new obsessions i.e. Brussels sprouts, but that's a story for another post. And bacon! Crispy, salty, crumbly, delicious bacon.

Pinterest, among other things, has become my go-to for finding fantastic recipes, and this one was no different. Delectably titled "Seared Scallops on Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Crispy Pancetta," I just had to try it! I modified it a little by swapping pancetta for bacon hoping to save on costs. But really, has anyone seen the price of bacon these days?? Geez.

I was nervous to cook the scallops because due to their slightly tan, almost white color I was afraid I wouldn't be able to tell when they were done. I didn't want to knock them off my rotation on the first try! Fortunately while searing them in the pan the line of demarcation between cooked and uncooked was pretty obvious. My only complaint is that I'm not used to the stove I'm working on (it gets hot really quickly at lower temps) and I ever so slightly burned the bottom of a few of them. But most of them came out with a beautiful golden brown crust :)

The bacon and Brussels hash was incredibly easy to make and I could've eaten that by itself! My tidbit is to just make sure you don't over salt. You need some to give the Brussels some flavor but with the bacon and shallots and other seasonings mixed in you won't need much.

Here's how mine turned out:


If anyone is interested in trying this recipe at home here is the link: http://www.insockmonkeyslippers.com/seared-scallops-on-shaved-brussels-sprouts-and-crispy-pancetta

If you're nervous about cooking scallops don't be! They were surprisingly easy and will hopefully be making their way into other dishes of mine soon. Scallops, I forgive you!



No comments:

Post a Comment