Sunday, May 25, 2014

Let's Talk About Cupcakes

I can guarantee that at least once a week, you can find me at a local cupcake bakery that I have been dying to try, crossing off my list and stuffing my face with moist, creamy, sugary decliciousness. At least I hope, it all depends on how well the cupcake is executed. I then promptly hit the gym ASAP and prep lots of lean meats and leafy greens so I can continue to try these delectable treats without deleting all the hard work I've put in the last few years. 

My cupcake obsession began at least 2 years ago and man, I. AM. HOOKED. See below:

I have always loved cake and can never resist it at parties. Or really in all other aspects of daily life where there is cake involved, like in your direct line of vision while you're in the produce section of the grocery store trying to be good...

The first gourmet cupcake I ever had was from Georgetown Cupcakes in DC. I no longer remember what flavors I had because it was so long ago but they were delicious! At the time, sitting outside the bakery's Bethesda outpost at a table in the sunshine people watching on a busy weekday,  I thought they were the best cupcakes I would ever eat. But I was soon to discover that while they are great, there are some local, fantastic cupcake bakeries that are not nationally known that seriously hold their own over these large chains. 

Eventually I will feature each cupcake bakery I have been to, but for now I'll start with the ones that I have visited in the last few weeks. A rare adventure into Baltimore City on a non-workday led to Oooh So Sweet Bakery in Mt. Vernon, which was unexpectedly closed (sad face). Never fear, a quick Google search and an excruciating 30+ minute drive to Federal Hill that really should have only taken 5 deposited us at Midnite Confections Cupcakery. Ranked as one of the best in Baltimore, I couldn't believe that I hadn't heard of it before. 

The shop is on S. Charles Street near all the bars and Cross Street Market. If you blink you might miss it but pay close attention because it will be one of the best cupcakes you will ever eat. A single glass china cabinet displays the flavors of the day. All of the fresh cupcakes are secreted away in the back, like they're hiding a very, very good surprise. We tried the bakery's signature Black Velvet, Sublime-inal, and Eclipse. Only the first 2 are pictured below, Sublime-inal on the left, Black Velvet on the right. 

Both of these cupcakes were incredible. On the Black Velvet, the cream cheese frosting was extremely smooth and had perfect flavor. The cake is a classic velvet with a little bit of chocolate and was very moist (there is nothing that I dislike more than a dry cake). The Sublime-inal was the best lime cupcake I have ever had and I mean that with the utmost sincerity. The cake is lemon and pairs extremely well with the lime frosting, which had real bits of lime in it. The flavor was never overwhelming or too citrusy. This cupcake would be perfect with a margarita on a hot summer day! 

I did not take a picture of the Eclipse, only because I had actually meant to order their Full Moon cupcake, a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. Of course I still ate it :P

The real showstopper of the cupcake adventure for this past week was the Flavor Cupcakery food truck at an event called The Gathering that I went to on Friday (more on that in another upcoming post). I have been hearing about this place nonstop recently, but have had a difficult time finding a good day to get to it since it's 2 locations are in Bel Air and Cockeysville, neither of which are super close to where I live. Flavor features 10 "classic" flavors each day plus at least 2 others specific to the day of the week and a surprise flavor. I had particularly been interested in their Tres Leches, which is only offered on Fridays. 

At the end of the evening I made a beeline for their truck and picked up a Tres Leches and Strawberry Margarita cupcake (see a theme?). I managed to not eat any of them in the car and when I finally took a bite of that Tres Leches cupcake, ladies and gentleman it did not disappoint. The cake was so moist it was almost like you could taste the 3 milks it had been soaked in, some of it even appeared to glisten in the middle. The frosting was like a whipped cream with a strawberry on top and melted in my mouth. It was hands down probably the BEST cupcake I have ever had. Will definitely be going back for more of those. Tonight I tried the strawberry margarita which tasted like both strawberry and lime and appeared to have a drunken strawberry center. I particularly liked the festive decorative straw. This one was great too, but nothing will top the other. I mean nothing. Here they are below:


In the coming days I have several other cupcake adventures to post, as well as quite a few other foodie related things that have happened! In the meantime, what are some of your favorite local bakeries/cupcakes? 



No comments:

Post a Comment