Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Soup & Snow

On this cold, snowy day I thought it would be the perfect time to post about soup! It's a great meal for those frigid temps, best served in front of a roaring fire, warming you from the inside out. My favorite soups revolve around seafood: cream of crab, shrimp bisque, New England clam chowder. I recently acquired a taste for oysters and what better way to showcase them than oyster stew!

Oysters caught my eye while I was passing the seafood counter in the grocery store. You can buy shucked oysters in a pop-top container that are fresher than canned. Once I saw them I started brainstorming what I wanted to do with them. One day I'd like to make fried oysters for an oyster po' boy but I thought I should start with something easy and soups and stews are one of the easiest things you can make.

To begin, drain the oysters in a colander over a medium sized bowl. You need to save all of that delicious, flavorful oyster juice to add back in to the stew later.


I'm aware this makes them look a little alien and gross but they're good I promise! 

While the oysters are draining heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot. I used one of my favorite items in our kitchen, the Dutch oven. Chop up one large leek, being sure to rinse it (no one wants sand in their stew!) and thinly slice four scallions. Add these to the heated oil and saute until tender, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes.


Next, stir in three tablespoons of flour, whisking constantly. Add in two cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth and one and one half cups of fat free milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes or until the mixture thickens.

Now it's time to add in those beautiful oysters! Make sure you've chopped them up just a little bit then add them, the reserved liquid, one tablespoon of chopped parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the mixture. Stir and let the oysters cook until they curl at the edges, about 2-3 minutes. Lastly, stir in one half cup of reduced fat half-and-half.



Top with oyster crackers, more fresh parsley, and serve hot! My one critique of this recipe is that the amount of cayenne pepper they suggested you add in hindsight was a bit ridiculous. If you're not a big fan of a lot of heat go really easy with it! It was a little too much for us and detracted from the flavor of the stew, which was really, really good. It wasn't inedible, not even close, but it would've been as awesome as it can get with less pepper. I think it needs it but really only a sprinkle.


No comments:

Post a Comment