Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Crockpot Chicken Caesar Sandwiches

I don't know about you, but we have at least 3 inches of snow on the ground here and it's absolutely beautiful. While fall stills hold the top place in my heart, there's something about a fresh coating of snow on the ground, pristine and white with a certain stillness in the atmosphere. This type of weather is the best for crockpot meals and today I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite recipes, chicken caesar sandwiches.

Turn your crockpot to low and cook 3 pounds of chicken breast in one can of chicken broth for 4-6 hours. It won't look like much at this point. 


Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the crockpot into a large bowl, shred, and then mix it well with one cup of your favorite caesar dressing, two tablespoons of dried parsley (you can use fresh if you like), one half cup of shredded parmesan cheese, and one half teaspoon of pepper. Add it back to the crockpot and cook for an additional 30 minutes, then it's ready to serve! 




Place on hamburger buns (we use whole wheat), spread a thin layer of caesar dressing on the bun, then top with romaine lettuce. I leave off the lettuce because I don't care for it on sandwiches and add red onion rings instead. They add a little sweetness and the crunch to it that the lettuce would have. I served these with frozen sweet potato tater tots but you can pick any sandwich side you like! 


This was the third time I have made these sandwiches, without any incidents, and I was surprised that when I was emptying the heavy bowl of shredded chicken back into the crockpot I cocked my arm at a weird angle and sprained my shoulder. Yes you read that right. Apparently the most mundane cooking task can be dangerous. But for novice chefs don't let it deter you! The shoulder is better today after some ice and ibuprofen but I'll be taking it easy both in and out of the kitchen for the next few days! 


No comments:

Post a Comment