Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet

I have never had an affinity for running so it surprised me when earlier in the spring I really got in to it. I had done it before a few years ago, knocking out my first and only 5k, but lost the drive to do it and moved on to other fitness routines. Something about this spring though with the cool, crisp air, copious greenery, and a sunnier new outlook on life made me want to pick it back up again. I'm running faster than I ever have and enjoying pushing myself to be better each time. In order to fuel that I've been looking for healthy recipes to keep the energy up and the calories burning.

This ground turkey sweet potato skillet was very simple to make and packs in healthy carbs and protein.

You will need:

1lb lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons of EVOO
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cup sweet potato, cubed
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
Sliced green onion for garnish

Make sure all of your ingredients are prepped, then heat the EVOO in a cast iron skillet or other oven-proof pan over medium high heat.


Add the ground turkey and garlic and cook for approximately 10 minutes until the meat is mostly cooked through.


Add in the onions and peppers and cook until the onions start to brown.


Add in the sweet potato, salt and pepper, and garlic powder, give it a good stir, then cover and cook until  the sweet potatoes are tender. You may need to add more EVOO to cook the potatoes and keep the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. I added at least another two tablespoons to keep everything moist.


While the sweet potatoes are cooking preheat the oven to 400. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, top with the mozzarella cheese and place in the oven until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and garnish with green onion. Before serving give the mixture a good stir to coat everything in the cheese.


The garlic powder was not originally part of the recipe, it was actually chili powder, but I don't care for really spicy things and thought it could still use a little extra something something. Sometimes turkey can turn out to be pretty dry but this stayed moist from the olive oil and it reheated extremely well. This is one that I would definitely make again and can feel good about eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment