Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Zucchini Casserole

Zucchini has to be one of my favorite summer vegetables and I'm so excited that the warmer weather is finally here! I've made zucchini many ways in the past, including but not limited to pizza crust, burger seasoning and stir fry, but today I thought I'd try a recipe for a skinny zucchini casserole. It's extremely easy requiring about zero prep work and you probably have a lot of the ingredients already in the house.

You will need:

3 1/2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of coarse black pepper
2 tablespoons of cornmeal
3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375. Grate the zucchini with a cheese grater. It's the easiest thing you'll ever do! You only need about 2 average-sized zucchini to get the amount you need. Once grated add them to a medium sized mixing bowl and pat dry with a paper towel. You don't want any excess water in the mixture.




Add in the eggs, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir, then pour it into a greased baking pan. Top with the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, and cheese and bake for 30 minutes covered in foil. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes until the top becomes golden brown. Serve hot!




Mine didn't turn out quite as fluffy as the one in the picture from the recipe despite following the ingredients to a T. I'm thinking maybe they used an even smaller casserole pan. Despite being on the thinner side this turned out really well. My only adjustment would be to cut back just a twinge on the black pepper, it was a tad much but not enough to ruin the dish. I think this works best as a breakfast item because of the egg and would make a good brunch dish but I think it also works as a side for dinner. And I love not feeling guilty eating it!


No comments:

Post a Comment