Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Pork Two Ways

I realize it's been a ridiculous amount of time since I last posted but when you're busy with nonstop work and just running around being happy sometimes it's hard to squeeze in those posts, let alone have the time to make anything that's worth posting. Last night I was on call and while waiting and hoping for my phone not to ring I decided I would make dinner for my dad and I since my mom had an appointment around dinner time. I perused my favorite site, Giada's website, and found Herb-roasted Pork Loin with Gremolata and Peas, Bacon, and Prosecco. Umm yum?

My plan was a bit of a failure in that I didn't realize my dad wouldn't be home until almost 2000 and my mom had already eaten dinner out after her appointment but really then more for me right?

I started with the pork loin so I could make the peas while it was roasting in the oven. You will need:

For the pork: 

One 3lb pork tenderloin, trimmed
1/4 cup of fresh rosemary, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon of fennel seed
1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
3 tablespoons of EVOO

For the gremolata

1 cup of fresh packed parsley leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup of EVOO

To start, preheat the oven to 400. Lay the pork tenderloin on a rimmed baking dish and cut 10 one inch slices into the tops and sides of the meat. Then rub the rosemary, garlic, fennel seed, salt, and EVOO mixture over it, being sure to get it in the cuts you've made. Place in the oven and roast for 40 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 145.



While the meat is cooking make your side. You will need:

4 ounces of chopped bacon
2 shallots, minced
One 10.8 ounce bag of frozen peas, thawed
1/3 cup of mint leaves, chopped
1/2 cup of freshly grated pecorino
1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/4 cup of prosecco

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook for about 5 minutes until crispy, then drain all but two tablespoons of fat. Add in the shallots and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Then add in the peas and heat through. Once the peas are hot raise the heat to medium-high and add in the mint, pecorino, and salt. Stir well, then pour in the prosecco. Remove the pan from the heat, give it another stir, and serve!




Once the roast is done let it sit for about 10 minutes, then carve it into half-inch thick slices and place on your favorite serving platter. Serve it with the gremolata for dipping. All you do is mix the ingredients together and place it in a ramekin or another other serving bowl you have for sauces. I found rather than dipping it was easier to pour a little over the meat.





My mom came home while I was in the middle of cooking and couldn't resist grabbing a few bites of both dishes. She loved them! I like how lean pork tenderloin is and there are so many variations you can do with it. See http://cupcakesandcrabcakes.blogspot.com/2014/11/cocoa-rubbed-pork-with-chocolate-tomato.html. 


The peas were delicious, but really if you add bacon to anything it won't taste bad. The mint gave it a hint a freshness, the cheese some bite, and the prosecco was an interesting addition. It wasn't an overpowering alcohol taste but you tell it was there and helped bring everything together. Plus who doesn't like having a little prosecco left over for a glass? 


No comments:

Post a Comment