Saturday, February 14, 2015

Vintage

Justin and I don't get to spend this Valentine's Day together. Such is the life of a nurse. I'm also at the very end of my 60 hour week and exhaustion doesn't even begin to describe it. Yesterday I finished my ACLS recertification and headed home so we could do our celebrations that evening. Justin surprised me with homemade chocolate covered strawberries that he and a friend had spent the afternoon making for their ladies. So cute!

For dinner we traveled to New Market to a new restaurant called Vintage. I had come across it while I was looking at the list for Frederick Restaurant Week and the menu struck me as something the two of us would enjoy.

The restaurant is located in a historic home on New Market's Main Street. Parking is available in front of the restaurant on the street or you can park around back and go in through that entrance, but you do have to cut through the dining room to get to the hostess which is a little awkward.

The inside is much larger than it looks from the outside. A spacious foyer with a fireplace houses the hostess stand and a tiered dining room extends beyond. The decor is very bright with whites, grays, and light blues. Old shutters allow you to see other diners below and above you with a slight air of mystery. The tables are reclaimed wood. Fitting for the name of the restaurant.


For starters we ordered the deviled eggs and pear and parsnip soup. The deviled eggs were topped with sweet pickled green and red peppers, a flavor combo I had not tried before and really liked. The pear and parsnip soup was mildly sweet and creamy and delicious. Vintage also serves cornbread instead of more traditional bread options. I absolutely love cornbread and theirs was so good! I also appreciated the fact that they went with something more creative.  So far we were impressed with the food.




Justin picked the Chicken and Waffles for his entree, friend bone-in chicken on a bourbon sweet potato waffle with smoked chili maple syrup and pecan crunch. This was incredible. The chicken was some of the best friend chicken I have ever tasted with the perfect peppery crust. It also appeared to have been smoked before it was fried making it that much more fantastic. The moist sweet potato waffle paired well with the slight heat from the chili maple syrup and was phenomenal.


I ordered the Pan Seared Trout, whole trout with Brussels sprouts, bacon, and pomegranate buerre blanc. The fish was seasoned really well with salt and pepper and doused in butter. It was very flaky and light. I really liked the sweet addition of the pomegranate with the sprouts. My only critique was that the sprouts could have been a little more tender; they were borderline mushy.


Vintage also has an extensive cocktail, wine, and beer list and we enjoyed several of their cocktails. Try them all!




We really loved this place and were blown away by our experience. Vintage's motto is "elevated comfort food" and I think they achieved this to a T between the thought and care put into preparing each dish and the presentation. We can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment