Monday, October 20, 2014

Beers & Battlefields

Justin and I have long wanted to check out Battlefield Brew Works & Spirits of Gettysburg Distillery in where else, Gettysburg, PA. The only problem was they had fairly limited hours and we were unclear as to whether we could eat dinner there or not and we didn't want to drive up there only for drinks. Their website listed a pulled pork sandwich and we had heard through word of mouth that they also served a selection of sausages.

By chance while driving in the area a week or two before with my mom and mother-in-law, I happened to spot the Appalachian Brewing Company just outside of Gettysburg's town center and bingo! Problem solved since the brewing company is a restaurant. 

We headed up a night a few weeks ago to try both places out. The brewing company is pretty small, so I recommend getting there fairly early to eat, especially if you're going on a weekend night. 

Justin tried their pumpkin beer while I went for the wheat. Both were really good, but I think the pumpkin was the better one and that was my second order. He also tried one of their stouts. Below is my wheat beer. Love their logo!


As a starter we ordered the Coal Cracker Pierogies, potato and cheese sauteed with caramelized onion, garlic butter, and fresh herbs, topped with black pepper and served with sour cream. Oddly enough I had never had a pierogie and this is why we chose them as our appetizer. These were crunchy and the filling was soft and yummy. I'd definitely order pierogies again.


For dinner I chose the Honey Chipotle Pretzel Chicken, chicken breast coated in pretzel pieces, pan seared, and finished with a honey chipotle drizzle and extra sauce on the side. The sides were garlic whipped red skin potatoes and a vegetable medley. I really enjoyed my dinner. I had waffled between a few things on the menu before ordering but kept coming back to this and I was happy with my choice. I've made pretzel encrusted chicken before and have enjoyed it and the addition of the spicy but not overly so sauce was perfect.


Justin had the Sasquatch burger, topped with brown sugar caramelized apple wood smoked bacon, apple slices, caramelized onion, and cheese. Unfortunately for him though he had a decent cold when we went and couldn't really taste his food ;( Talk about major bummer. Poor guy had to take my word for it that the meal was good but he did say, and I agree, that his burger looked really good!


Despite the cold we went to Battlefield Brew Works anyway and it was so much fun! They're located in a historic barn that was once a Confederate field hospital during the Civil War and they also had a bluegrass band that evening that were excellent. Their food menu was a lot larger than we expected so we'll definitely go back to eat another time. My favorite thing was their hard apple cider.






No comments:

Post a Comment