Friday, August 15, 2014

Baked Chicken with Sun-dried Tomato Cream Sauce

I've had this recipe on my list of ones to try for a while and finally got around to it last night. I was looking for something simple, healthy, and flavorful and this one was all of those things. Also key was a recipe that wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. 

To start you will need:

At least 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 6 thin sliced)
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream (it also says you can use coconut milk but I opted not to)
Good quality steak seasoning (I actually used McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning, worked great!)
Fresh thyme sprigs
1/2 cup of chicken stock 
10-12 sun-dried tomatoes pureed in a blender or food processor
1/2 tsp of fresh thyme leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Start by preheating your oven to 375F. Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and steak seasoning and top with a spring of thyme. Bake for 45 minutes. If you are using thin sliced chicken breasts I suggest you cut the cook time down to at the most 30 minutes. I personally would check on them after 20 because they cook extremely fast and mine were just slightly dry after a half hour.


While the chicken is baking, heat a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the cream and 2 sprigs of thyme and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes until it's reduced to 1/3 of its original volume.


Remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes, then place it back on the heat after removing the thyme. Add in the chicken stock and let it simmer for another five minutes. Now add the sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper, and the thyme leaves. Stir with a whisk to break up any clumps, then you're ready to pour it over your chicken! 




It looks so yummy! And it truly tasted delicious. I have a ton of sauce left and it would be perfect poured over pasta. It also solidifies in the fridge and could potentially be used as a spread for a sandwich. 

I wanted a nice vegetable dish for a side, and my mother-in-law brought us a ton of vegetables from her garden the other day. I had some leftover canned corn in the fridge and white onion that I had already diced and was dying to use the zucchini so I threw together a quick little medley in a saute pan.

Start by heating a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat, then add in the onions. Saute for a few minutes until tender, then add in the zucchini and corn. Saute until the zucchini is tender but still green, then season with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning. I used McCormick's Tuscan seasoning. This was very fresh and light and tasty, a perfect addition to a nice late summer dinner! 


No comments:

Post a Comment